Saturday 4 May 2013

Our Fear of Conformity

In the 2010 Elections, I cast my vote for Gibo, because I knew he was the ONLY presidential candidate who made sense and who knew what he was saying; others were merely hitching the bandwagon of their own fame and their father's failed legacy. Even when I knew he was not going to win, I rooted for him. 

Back in 2007, I picked Lacson. It might raise some eyebrows, but I was thrilled with the idea of having someone on top who can get rid of the TANGA without having to play so diplomatic about it; somehow I knew it was what we needed, during those times when the right was far-fetched and everyone was so busy trying to be part of the majority, without even knowing why. Again, I knew he was not going to win; still I voted for him, because it was the best way to get some decency out of me.

When everyone else is a Miami Heat fan, by choice, I was rooting for Chicago Bulls (the only NBA games I download and watch are Bulls games, from the regular season to the first round playoffs, and beyond, crossing fingers). They were weak, they only had two All-Star players this year, they were burdened with injuries all year, but I still rooted for them, and will still, even if going against the Heat is going to be a tough one. 

It's been like this the whole time - I chose St. Louis Cardinals over Texas, I became an instant Red Bull Racing fan back in 2009 even when they didn't win the championships, I bought a Honda Dash when everyone else is a Rouser and CBR (for crying out loud, a Rouser is a SMALL BIKE wearing a BIG BIKE's pajamas, and has the same 110cc as a Dash, so rub it in your face, pwet ng manok), I was Android 1.6 back in 2010 when everyone was a 4.3 and Nokia. 

Now the cliche - life is sometimes a no-brainer, but the majority isn't ALWAYS right. Sometimes, our fear of conformity forces us to make a choice, and because the majority is in the same page, even if it was a mistake, we feel sorry for the person who was otherwise, because no one vouched with him. 

When they ousted ERAP and replaced him with, well, someone worse, did anyone care to say "shoot, mali pala tayo"?

No comments:

Post a Comment