Tuesday 27 November 2012

And So is My Life

My Facebook is an open book.

And so is my life.

I never meant it that way, but I find comfort in letting people see all sides of my story. Not to be self-righteous or anything; there is something therapeutic about it.

Of course, I needed to categorize first arrogance from sheer urge for human expression. There is a big difference between showing off and letting it go. The former is with flatulence (the word has been my fave one this week) while the latter is a natural outlet of emotions.

A life like my life that is open book in both reality and Facebook is one that I have established with mastery of every part of it. First, there is the argument of privacy. Why an open to the public profile, if you may ask? I find no fault in making it accessible to everyone; if it was to show off something inappropriate, that's a different side of it. When one decides to put it out in the open, it usually is a matter of confidence, of knowing that when you put it in the open, you can always reel it back in. I disagree with the idea of keeping everything private on a social network like Facebook. If it was meant to be private all that you have in your profile, why do it with Facebook? I mean, you can make it more private without hiding behind the cover of a website. Then there are those who type their names in reverse, hoping no one will be able to find them. Again, you might be better off without a profile at all. It's basically the outcome to a means, short cutting it by eliminating redundancies along the way.

Second, it's the whole idea of personal satisfaction. I am born introvert, and I know I am designed to always keep everything to myself. But as a human being, I know from time to time, someone has to listen to some of the stories I keep. It's like this blog; I am sure when the art of writing was invented, it never thought of having writing in the technological savvy nomenclature of the world wide web, but regardless of form, writing was made to connect people. A foolish definition of writing is that it was only meant to satisfy the inner sanctimony of the writer, never a medium for expression. When cavemen drew things in the walls of the caves they were staying, they needed to write them there for others to see. It's not like a dog burying a bone on the ground and only him knows where it is. The whole idea of writing is that soon, an audience will care to read or listen. The personal satisfaction is dependent upon the interest of people towards the stories and the emotions conveyed.

Combining personal satisfaction and fighting off privacy, a healthy person cannot only be about what he eats, but also what he does when the eating stops.

My life is an open book because everything that I do is designed that way. Not to solicit comments, not to encourage debate. I made it open because, when it's closed, I didn't see the point why I had to talk to myself without anyone telling me what's wrong with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment