Monday 26 November 2012

Blessed be the Curse

A migraine is both a blessing and a curse.

There is nothing cliche about the use of "a blessing and a curse," though itself a flatulation by face value.

How does a migraine become a curse?

During its peak, back when yourstruly was still in high school, a migraine attack (migraine with aura, to be more specific) takes 30 minutes to commence, and recovering from it was just 23 hours. So that's on a once a week occurrence, multiplying it by four weeks, and you get this - 12.78% or the whole month is spent through vomiting, chilling, stomachache, a freaking headache, neck pain, an aura that's scarier than a lightning right to the face (not that I've experienced it), and my most favorite part, regurgitation of noodles, which, in the context of gross and this article's aim of illustration, is mostly done on purpose to circulate the toxins that are inside my stomach. Medically speaking, there is no scientific study to prove that this helps in the recovery, but the dilemma was leaving me with no other option, but the option of ignorance.

That was 14 years ago.

Currently, there is still the occasional aura, little bolt of lights zigzagging my vision, and when it slowly fades after 30 minutes of orgy in my eyesight, the headache picks up where the other left off. Then the routine finishes off with numbness of the fingers, and closes out with roughly an hour of recovery. And did I mention 14 years ago, it was too impossible to eat, sleep and move? When forcing to close thy tiring eyes during the recovery, lying down could not be an option, because my body does not allow me to. So, 14 years ago, if you saw me that way, you would think I was better off being suicidal than surviving.

Now, I am able to create distractions. Diversions were never an easy thing to develop, but it was so because of the need to not stay in this condition especially because of the focus on the professional life. I remember during 2000's summer job at a fast food store. It was the worst 9 hour shift of my life. I was hugging the toilet seat like a pillow, and the vomiting was probably the most colorful I have seen my entire life.

At this age, I am able to get over it quicker, way quicker than before. Even during migraine attacks, I have now victoriously developed the cunning ability to smoke menthol while thy aura does its work. I still get the occasional vomiting, but they only come when there is too much of the unnecessary inside me that it is comparable to a vertigo without the bulimia. :D

So, a migraine is also a blessing, because once you are able to reach that certain threshold where your body thought it could not go on any further, you stick to the psychological state of mind, and everything that comes after it is a test of muscle memory, of knowing how to deal with it when it happens again. I believe migraine is one of those things that become easier as it happens more frequently.

Here are things you can enjoy doing while aura is in a mosh pit:

1) Rent a movie you haven't seen. I prefer a movie with LOTS of gun fights. Don't go for tearjerkers; they'll only worsen the pain.
2) The first food to get into your system while recovering should be soft enough it is easy regurgitating it off your stomach. As previously explained, it helps me try to acclimatize to the feeling of eating with pain.
3) Play around with mefenamic. When you have recovered or about to, mefenamic is to euphoria as flies are frogs' fine dining.

Lastly, I learned that with migraine, I am able to realize how boring I can be. With recovery lasting roughly 23 hours. it is such a wonderful thing to do trying to take something out of it all a little idea and play with it once out. Then again, people are boring in their own ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment