Thursday 22 November 2012

Why a BPO company, of all industries?

Five years ago, I was contemplating on the thought. I was in a crossroad; during that time I thought I was about to hit rock bottom. After three wonderful years of teaching in college, somehow, my academe career had to stop. It was not only one isolated reason; there were many things that triggered it.

First, I am unable to finish my Master's Degree; I was a thesis shy away from graduating.

Second, I got into trouble of being too loyal with my journalistic self. Working as a Technical Adviser for a student publication, and being a Mass Communication graduate, I knew I had to be in the side of my staff, not to slant to the school administration. These are kids trying to make a point, and they needed someone to back them up. Well, with it comes the risk of being an anti-administration, so I did what I had to do. Unfortunately, though they never used it against me, it might have been one of the reasons why they never renewed my probationary contract.

Third, I got into a relationship with a former student. Not that I can't do a little compromise to stay in my career and maintaining the relationship at the same time, but it was necessary for me to get out of it, probably, out of fear of getting us both dragged into it.

Fourth, I got into another teaching job in a university, but it only lasted for a semester. They wanted another contract for another semester, but I declined. It was a shitty experience to start with, and I never liked the idea of working for a big company. The bigger the company becomes, the bigger the politics. To add insult to it, the university had the worse idea of building up students' idea of education. So needed to bail myself out of it.

So why BPO? Coz all this euphoria led me to this. To the NOW.

Exactly what is my definition of a career. A career is not a calling. When you enjoy doing something, they say you don't need to get paid. But there is the economics of it all. At the end of the day, there is the bills to think about, the need to live another day, and the urge to do better next time. All these are pre-conditions to finding a career. If you only enjoy what you do, I think they call it a hobby.

If it pays the bills, then I am up to the challenge of doing something different.

Plus, it has given me more than I expected. Just 4 months into my BPO career, I got promoted, even before I got regularized. How's that for perks?

All the things that we do to make it right, and all the things that we never did to make it wrong. There is just enough to make it a career to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment